Frequently Asked Questions

The FAQ directs to a page that contains information on frequently asked questions about NPFL activities and answers to the questions. Examples of such questions are;

How can I change my pension bank account details?

You can change your bank details by personally bringing a written request address to:

MD, NNPC Pension Fund Ltd

to NPFL office or you send your request through NNPC Retired Staff Association (RSA) if you are a member.

How often is verification exercise carried out?

Beneficiaries verification exercise is carried out bi-annually nationwide.

How do I speak to a correspondent?

Use the contact information on the website.

How do I get verified if I am ill or out of the country?

In such scenario, you are requested to write to NPFL and provide evidence from NNPC Clinic or any Notary public.

Can a third party collect my pay slip on my behalf?

Yes, but you will have to write an authority letter addressed to MD, NNPC Pension Fund Limited and attached a copy of your ID card.

When does a dependent pension benefit stops?

When the children have attain the age of eighteen years or when the wife is late.